The next RoomtoWrite short story competition will be in Spring 2016 – dates will be finalised later in the year
OUR COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED – the longlist will be published here on Wednesday 27th August and the shortlist on Wednesday 3rd September
At Room To Write we are delighted to announce our inaugural Short Story Competition- the competition will run from May 1st through to August 1st. You will find all the details you need and how to enter below.
We look forward to reading your entries. The final shortlist of ten will be published on the website in August, and will be read by our sponsors Booker Prize winner Pat Barker and Hans Christian Andersen Prize winner David Almond
ROOM TO WRITE SHORT STORY COMPETITION
The Room To Write Short Story Prize will be judged by:
Avril Joy: Novelist & 2012 Costa Prize winner.
Wendy Robertson: novelist & short story writer.
Sharon Griffiths: novelist and short story writer
Sponsors are: Booker Prize winner Pat Barker, David Almond: Hans Andersen Prize, Councillor Sam Zair Durham County Council
1st Prize: £200,
2nd Prize: £100
3rd Prize: £50
The winning story will be published in the Northern Echo and broadcast on listenupnorth.
ENTRY FEE: £5.00 per entry
CLOSING DATE: August 1st
WORD COUNT: Your story may be up to 1,500 words – not including the title.
ROOM TO WRITE SHORT STORY COMPETITION RULES – Please read the rules carefully before entering
Competition Administrator: Gillian Wales
1. The Room To Write Short Story Prize is open to writers of any nationality writing in English, 16 years old and over at the time of the closing date.
2. The Room To Write Short Story Prize is open to everyone, whether they are based in the UK or outside the UK.
3. It is open to published and unpublished writers alike.
4. Closing date for receipt of entries is August 1st 2014 at midnight BST.
5. The maximum length of submissions is 1,500 words (excluding title), there is no minimum length. Stories can be on any theme or subject.
6. Authors may enter as many stories as they like. There is an entry fee of £5 for each story.
7. Payment for online entries should be made via the website.
8. Payment for postal entries should be made by cheque. Cheque payments must be in pounds sterling and cheques should be made payable to ‘Room To Write.’
9. Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must not have been previously published, in print or online or broadcast. They must not previously have won or been shortlisted in another writing competition.
10. Simultaneous submissions are welcome – but we ask that you let us know as soon as possible if a story is to be published elsewhere or has won a prize or been shortlisted in another writing competition.
11. No corrections or alterations can be made after receipt and entries will not be returned. Please keep a copy.
12. Entries will be objectively administrated, read and judged anonymously
13. The judges’ verdict is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
1. POSTAL ENTRIES – FEE £5.00 BY CHEQUE. Addressed to Administrator Gillian Wales, Room To Write, Briarhurst, Byron Avenue. Bishop Auckland, Co Durham DL14 5AP
2. Payment for postal entries should be made by cheque. Cheque payments must be in pounds sterling and cheques should be made payable to ‘Room To Write.’
3. Entries must be typed: single sided, double-spaced, font size 12, with pages numbered.
4. Entries must NOT show a name, address or identifying mark other than the title.
5. Your entry should include a separate cover page with the title, the word count and your name, address and contact details.
6. If you require acknowledgement of receipt of your postal entry then please enclose a stamped addressed postcard marked ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.
7. Please send postal entry/entries to: Room To Write Short Story at the address above.
1. ONLINE ENTRIES – FEE £5.00 VIA THE ROOM TO WRITE WEBSITE – see below
2. Online entries should be e mailed as an attachment in Word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. The first page of your document should be a COVER PAGE which will include: the title of your story, the word count, your name, address and contact details.
3. The remainder of the document should NOT show a name, address or identifying mark other than the title.
4. Please title your e mail – Room to Write Short Story, followed by the title of your story.
5. We will acknowledge receipt of your story via a return message
6. PAYMENT. Please Pay HERE before you email us your story – you will need to make a separate transaction for each story you enter